ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY PRODUCTS FROM KURZWEIL
Deeply-rooted in the education industry for decades, Kurzweil Education offers assistive technology products and resources that transform struggling learners into successful, independent readers, writers, and test-takers. From students who are English Language Learners, living with dyslexia, or are learning with a visual impairment, Kurzweil’s assistive technology is an integrated solution for life.
UNDERSTANDING ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY FOR THE CLASSROOM
Integrating educational tools, like assistive technology, helps educators and students overcome the challenges that learning disabilities bring to a classroom environment. Literacy technology utilizes many different components, like text-to-speech, to help curate an inclusive learning experience for students who have dyslexia, are English Language Learners, who are blind or visually impaired—or who are reading or writing below proficiency level. Being able to keep up at the same pace as their peers is one key advantage for adding assistive technology to the classroom, along with these additional benefits:
- Improved Focus and Organization: Literacy technology, like kurzweil 3000, allows all classroom materials such as books, tests and homework to be stored in a central location accessible across electronic devices. Additional features, such as Magnification and Bookmarks, can be used to keep learners on task and organized.
- Promotes Independent Learning: Learners can select from a host of dynamic features designed to adapt to their individual learning style—from exploring new concepts to synthesizing and demonstrating what they learned.
- A Platform for Test-Taking: Learners can test independently, at their own pace, using customized test-taking toolbars that align with their accommodation needs. Educators can adapt tests using a test-prep tool bar and distribute tests securely.
THE KURZWEIL EDUCATION DIFFERENCE
Meaningful progress in and out of the classroom starts with the tools educators and students use to support lifelong literacy. Other assistive technology solutions offer reading support, text tools or assessments, all pieces of the literacy puzzle, but our products bring them all together with easy, proven solutions that ensure instruction and learning become personal. Kurzweil Education delivers a combination of educational technology and professional development services that help learners meet rigorous standards and unlock their potential through:
- 18 text-to-speech languages and dialects, providing a dialect and voice that meets each student’s unique background and heritage
- Talking word prediction and spell checkers, allowing students to self-regulate their writing (just some of the features that support learners throughout the full learning process)
- High-quality Text-to-speech: Combining the latest Optical Character Recognition (OCR) engine from ABBY FineReader® with human-quality text-to-speech, provides the highest accuracy in read aloud technology that reduces reading fatigue and improves comprehension.